All Scale Modelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGuy/videos?flow=grid&vi

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER Empty Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER

Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:11 am
Welcome back to another project. This one is going to be right off the silver screen. Back in 1964 we were introduced to another iconic James Bond film, Goldfinger. I doubt there are many if any people here that have never seen the movie so I will not bore you with the plot of the movie and skip right to our subject. The new Mustang made its first appearance on the big screen. This 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible driven by Tilly Masterson (played by Tania Mallet) premieres in a race scene along with Bond’s Aston Martin. Originally, Ford planned on debuting a Mustang Fastback in Goldfinger but the set production was moving so quickly, Ford was not ready for it’s release and instead debuted the Mustang Convertible.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER D5TcchF

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER ENr5qr1

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER FQGRSq3

You can see the chase seen below. To save time you can jump to 2:46 of the video

The kit

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER FcpGjRR

The color we will be using is Wimbledon white.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER IQPpRl4

Spanky 19 likes this post

Webby
Webby
Location : Strathpine, Australia on a built over WW2 airstrip.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER Empty Re: Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:50 am
Watching this space. I looove Goldfinger. Best Bond, best Bond movie!

dirkpitt289 likes this post

dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER Empty Re: Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:06 pm
Thanks Webby
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:35 am
Agreed.... best Bond and best Bon movie.

Looking forward to it Dirk
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:52 pm
Hope your Wimbledon White is comes out white. My can of Model Master had more of an Ivory color.
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:49 am
Al. wrote:Agreed.... best Bond and best Bon movie.

Looking forward to it Dirk

Thanks, Al
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:50 am
Dave from Pleasanton wrote:Hope your Wimbledon White is comes out white. My can of Model Master had more of an Ivory color.

Wimbledon white does have an ivory tone to it
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:07 am
Now that work is completed on the Cancer Awareness Mustang and Starship Enterprise its time to turn my attention back to the Tilly Masterson Mustang

In order to make this build standout and be more identifiable as the Tilly Masterson Mustang I wanted to add a detail that would do just that. Otherwise it would be just another Mustang. I decided to add the damage to the lower rocker panel as depicted in the movie.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER RY3zIis

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER JvhuO6s

To add the damage I took my dremmel and thinned out the fenders. I then placed a pointed bit in the dremmel and attacked the side of the model.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER Qo5sSCK

Assembling the 289 engine

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER UPuwns2

For some reason Monogram decided to make the oil pan and pump chrome. I added these parts to a zip loc bag and added some eazy-off oven cleaner. The parts were chrome free in under 10 minutes

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER HB4SkHz

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER Xm3WsYc

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER DkrX2Ux

I modified the engines air cleaner with my circuit board build

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER 8qBNTGs

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER BWNYUc7

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER PfsNOpT

Thanks for taking the time to look at my project
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:19 am
Great start.  I also use the drill bits from Harbor Freight ... inexpensive and very sharp ... but they break easily.
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:36 pm
Spanky 19 wrote:Great start.  I also use the drill bits from Harbor Freight ... inexpensive and very sharp ... but they break easily.

Agreed, they break so easily. I know Harbor Freight isn't known for its quality but I'm not sure other company's bits in these sizes would stand up much better. They are soooo thin
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:14 pm
I bought some of those bits as well and they are extremely brittle. They are designed to be used in drill presses and printed circuit board drilling system. I have a few left that aren't broken. Since then I bought some standard twist drills from China. I got 10 each of .5mm, .6mm, .7mm, .8mm, .9mm & 1mm with free shipping for very little cost. So far I'm still working on the first bit of each size with no breakage. I also bought a set of Warrior micro drills from Harbor Freight which included (5) 0.5mm, (5) 0.6mm, (5) 0.8mm, (3) 1.0mm, (2) 1.2mm, (2) 1.5mm, (2) 1.8mm, (2) 2.0mm, (2) 2.35mm, (2) 3.0mm for $3.99 and they work great and don't break. I use 30 gauge wire wrap wire for my plugs and fuel lines and the .6mm drill bits are perfect for those.

OBTW looking forward to the build progress.

dirkpitt289 likes this post

dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:33 am
I used acrylic craft paint for the interior.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER 0J43uYB

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER YCgr98i

With the base color down its time to flock the interior

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER 3XXFuI0

First I water down some Elmers glue and apply it where I want the flock to go. Then to avoid clumps and to get an even coating I sift the flocking material through a sifter and let it fall directly onto the interior

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER NB2UBLD

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER X8qqTZR

Once the glue has dried I tap the excess onto a sheet of paper. I then place the recovered flock back into the container where it can be reused.

Detailing out the instrument cluster

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER OdnPQ4m

Detailing out the center console

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER C74kAhG
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:46 am
Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER Ah4MhZo

For some reason all theses Mustang kits have divots behind the passenger headlight bucket.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER H2MDoTg

Detailing the tail lights with some clear red and some black paint

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER QkhYmIp

Detailing the front turn signal lights with clear Orange

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER VHCFi56

I decided to replace the kit wheels with a set of White wall tires from AMT.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER H4FNR2o

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER L6B0Ad9

The problem is the Amt wheels are thinner then the kt supplied wheels. That means some modifications need to be made to get the rear wheel backings and the hub caps to fit properly

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER Ta6SA5a

In order to get this to fit I cut down the back side of the hubcaps

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER VOYcnVl

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER WAL5kZB
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:59 pm
Detailing the hubcaps with a wash. On the actual hubcaps the vain area is actually shaped like  a pitched roof. One side is painted with a gray and the other side is not, just bare chrome. This gives them the shadow effect. The top left cap id the raw kit part from the factory. The bottom cap has the wash applied to the vain area leaving the spokes clean of the wash. The upper right cap is the final product after letting it sit for a bit then rubbing down with a cotton bud.

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER R2qi7SZ

Next we put the spinners in place. The spinners were a factory option that would cost a potential buyer an extra $18.20. If you wanted the wire hubcaps with spinners that would cost you $45

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER Xb0NWCV

Making a oil dipstick. Its really silly that I'm making a dipstick yet I'm not wiring the engine. Talk about being ass backwards. HAHA

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER CsWfhC4

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER F4lOTeW

Dirk's Monogram 64 Mustang as Seen in the Movie GOLDFINGER B10k5Xh
mrmike
mrmike
https://www.facebook.com/mrmikesscalemodelcars/

Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:16 pm
We all do things a little bass akwards! Add the dipstick, I won't say anything about the lack of engine wiring!
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:07 pm
Thank you Mike
Webby
Webby
Location : Strathpine, Australia on a built over WW2 airstrip.

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:36 am
This is shaping up very well indeed.
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:55 am
Nice work Dirk.Esp on the wheel trims.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum