All Scale Modelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Empty AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:54 pm
Here is a project I recently started to take two AMT "Old Pro" glue bombs and convert them into one Sport Ute type truck.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5535

Conversions of coupe to trucks always seemed too short for me so I added 5mm of length to the body.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5536
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5537

I reattached the roof, with about 2 mm added to the bottom of the C-Pillar then extended the tops of the beds with plastic from a scrap body to create the bed ... similar to the early 70's El Camino and late 70's Ranchero.  During the body work I am trying to take care and retain the Nov'a rear fender swoop. I also re-shaped the side window opening ... keeping the stock-c-pillar from the coupe created a shrouded appearance.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5538

The bed was created from flat plastic stock, wheel tubs were made from combining two of the Old Pro's hood scoops, and the rear window from scrap plastic.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5539

Here is where I am at tonight -- filling the tail gate with scrap plastic then adding milliput epoxy filler to blend it all together.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5610
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5611

Thanks for checking it out and more importantly thank you for all who make this community possible.
nightflier
nightflier
Admin
Admin

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Empty Re: AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion

Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:42 am
Very interesting build Chris, enjoying this.
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Empty Re: AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:07 am
Man Chris this is some serious work going on here. Great start and I'm looking forward to more. Keep at it.
dirkpitt289
dirkpitt289
https://www.youtube.com/user/ModelingGuy/videos?flow=grid&vi

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 pm
I'm no fan of the Nova but its builds like this I love to watch. BRAVO to you sir!
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:39 am
Recently I turned my attention back to the Nova-Ute and have been working at dialing in the body work.  After numerous putty-sand-prime-repeat cycles I was feeling good about it and most of it was smoothed out down to 1000 grit.  After a shot in silver (great for seeing problems that blend in with primer) two problem areas became apparent..  

On the outside of the tailgate there was a soft spot where  I did not adequately blend the 2 part milliput (if you look at the picture above ... its that dark blotch in the center).  On the inside of the tail gate I had jointed two plastic strips and the joint did not hold and the seam kept cracking.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi71

To solve both these problems I grabbed the dremel with grinding bit and removed the uncured putty on the outside and widened the inside crease (the added width will create a cove that can be filled for added strength).  Both will be filled with superglue and micro-ballons  followed by normal finishing protocol.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi72

For the rear, I decided to modify the kit's taillights,

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi73

An relocate them into the stock bumper (below is where I am now after the first putty/sand cycle):

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi74

For the engine, I used the better of the two big blocks from the Nova kits:
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Dsc05510

After stripping the paint, I filled the axel holes in the oil pan, cit out the molded in oil filter (and filled the hole), parts box stock valve covers and a stock intake from the parts box (looks like a Revelle  item). Drilled for plug wires.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Dsc05511

For the hood I had to come up with something as I was not using the high-rise scoop. Looking through the parts box I decided to use a Daytona hood with the Nova's front portion of the hood.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5540

The body shot in silver base coat.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi75
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:37 pm
An update on the progress in a couple of areas.  

The stock chassis had a curvature as it swung upward to form the trunk of the Nova that interfered with the truck bed.  
 AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5541

A simple relief cut around allowed the chassis to be flattened.  This was filled with micro-balloons to add the strength back.  
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5542

Next, the chassis had to be stretched to the longer wheel base.  A 5 mm section was cut from the spare frame and glued into place then finished with putty.  
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Img_5543

The kit's leaf spring had to be repaired (they both were broken with a lot of glue damage) and the seam filled in the rear axel.  From control arms were sourced from a Revell Camero to add depth to the kit's lack of detail.  A lot of glue damage on the chassis was smoothed out and a piece of plastic stock was added over the flattening cut to add strength (with an attempt to blend into the frame rails).    

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi79

Additional work on the bumper is still needed to tackle two issue:

First, the body will need to refined.
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi76

So I added a bit of plastic from the spare body to square off the edge to match the bumper's line.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi81

And the bumper needs to be narrowed  to tuck it into the body line.  
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi77

So it was sliced on both sides of  the license plate indent and about 4 mm of material removed.  
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi80

On to the interior:   The tub shortened to the size of the truck's cab with a new rear panel added from plastic stock.  Dash and seats are kit items with paint removed and a parts box console and shifter.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi78

Thanks again for all those who make this family/forum possible and those who contribute with their inspirational builds.
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:09 pm
Decided to call the body done and put down the first three coats of Tamiya Maroon from the can.  I'm setting this to the side for a while and let it  gas-out and the paint harden before going over it withe 2000 grit to level it out one more time.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fullsi82
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:49 pm
You are doing a grand job Chris. Stick at it.
Webby
Webby
Location : Strathpine, Australia on a built over WW2 airstrip.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:47 pm
More utes! Great stuff, and the Maroon rocks.
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:00 am
I have the Nova up on 4 wheels. Used the "Old Pro's" Cragars with parts box rear tires. The kit's front wheels were used. The straight through metal axel was eliminated from the front and a spacer had to be added push the tires outward about 3 mm (they sat too far in the inner fenders).

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fulls111

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fulls112

A little more progress on the 396. I found this black wrapping wire on ebay and am pleased with how it looks in 1/25 scale. This roll was about $12 (including shipping) and is more then a lifetime supply.

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fulls113
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:32 pm
Nice work Chris.......what's with the spotty manifold?
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:53 pm
Going to try to Use some 69 Camero graphics on the Nova build.  The decals are not in the greatest of shape so not sure if they will work out or not.  

Al, the spots on the exhaust manifolds are mostly due to a reflection of the light off the high points.  After spraying them a silver base, I brushed on a Testors metallic gun metal ... which is almost like a clear coat.  

AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fulls114
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:08 pm
Ah! I see. Thought it must be something like that.
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:03 pm
AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion Fulls117

I was able to get the stripes to lay down. A few of them busted up when applying them ... but was able to salvage them.
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:32 pm
Wow Chris,

Talk about a silk purse from a sows ear!!!

Terrific job when you look what you started with. AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion 2970059230 AMT 72 Nova "Old Pro" - Ute Conversion 2970059230
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum