All Scale Modelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Empty AMT "Cheverra" Z28

Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:24 pm
I came across the Round 2 Reissue of this AMT kit and decided to grab it ... and moved it to the head of my "build it" line (for now):

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fullsi98

In my "stash" I had an MPC 1980 Turbo Trans AM which had a warped body and broken glass.  The Camero is snap kit with no real detail; I'll be using the chassis and (probably) the turbo small block in this build.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fullsi99

After sanding off mold seams in the wheel wells as adding a strip of styrene to the sides (so the MPC frame fills in the body better) I shot some flat black on it.  I tried a new item here; some "AK weather pencils".  Every time I tried to paint details I would fat finger-it and it would turn out terribly.  Also have some color on the engine (GM Corporate Blue) - The Pontiac 301.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls100

Gotta love 1980 Big 3 turbo technology.  Also added some looms to the valve covers for ignition wires.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Img_6213

A few more details added to the engine . Dull coat added to the chrome to tone it down a bit; a fuel line run, the molded in oil filter painted with decal added and the MPC's distributor drilled out with 9 wires superglued.

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls101
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Empty Re: AMT "Cheverra" Z28

Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:19 pm
Started the conversion from curb side by opening the hood on the Camero.  I cut the cowl from the donor Firebird ... but it was too narrow and widening strips added from plastic stock.  You can see where I varied off a straight line and cut into the hood.  A piece of plastic was laminated to the gouge.  Some putty thrown over where my saw strayed and cut where I didn't want it to.  It all needs a lot of finishing body work to blend it all together.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls102

I am pleased with how the engine turned out; with the exception of the coil, heating lines, radiator hoses and connecting the exhaust outlet to the turbo she is done.  Highlights are:  
- Basis in the Pontiac 301 turbo from their 80 pace car hit
- Parts box valve covers with wire looms added (made from scrap plastic)
- Kit distributor center drilled (never can get 9 holes done) and ignition wire with spark plug boots made from narrow plastic rod drilled out.  Wire is an unknown brand that came mixed in an ebay junk lot.  
- Chrome parts hit with dull coat to tone them down
- Tamyia Blue used to represent GM corporate blue
- Dale added for the oil filter and "turbo" for the air cleaner from the spares
- Alternator bracket made from a scrap steering wheel (it had the radius I wanted) with the roundness sanded flat.  
- Exhaust tube connects from the turbo and air cleaner to the exhaust manifolds were puttied to eliminate the sizable gaps, then the paint was touched up.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Img_6310

-
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:30 pm
In all my 72 years, I have never heard of the Cheverra let alone this kit.

Looking good and great job on the engine Chris.  AMT "Cheverra" Z28 2970059230
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:47 pm
Thanks Al, apparently the "Chaverra" was PPG custom car in  80 ... here is a photo from the internet.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Chevro10

Finished one of the keys to the conversion ... adding a cowl and hood support.  

My first attempt to use the cowl from the firebird failed.  It was too narrow and it had an upward curve that prevented the hood from sitting flat.  I decided to create one out of sheet styrene.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls104

The windshield and interior tub had flanges that had to be trimmed in order to sit flush/flat.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 U<a href=
AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls106

I had these wheels and tires in the bin and decided to go with them over the Camero's or the Firebird's...hey fill out the wheel wells.  The pins were in the parts bin and will be used to mount them.

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls107

The base kit being a snap together had open back on the front seats...fillers were made from plastic sheet and the gapes will have some putty thrown at them.  Here are the rear tires with the pins  with a bit of paint added to the calipers and the chrome disk brakes toned down. The painted some clear gun metal on the centers to add some contrast.

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls108" />
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:34 pm
I tried something different (for me) with the dash. I used a motor tool and ground the dash from the back side until the openings were almost through, then finished it off with san paper. I glued gages in from the rear with white glue.

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls109

I used Testors candy rootbeer (letting it gas out for a while now) with a mock up shot. It is too low in the rear (or too high in the front) ... have to make some adjustments there (maybe).

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls110

Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:59 am
Looking good Chris. IIRC those wheels are American Torque Thrusts???
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:00 pm
Time for some decals ... going to go with the conventional Z28 graphics I think.  Al, I do believe that they are American, but have more of a "Daisy" pattern rather then the classic lines of a Torque Thrust.  Not sure of the kit they were sourced from.  

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls116
Spanky 19
Spanky 19

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:21 pm
The Metallic root beer has been clear coated and now time for final assembly.

AMT "Cheverra" Z28 Fulls151
Sponsored content