All Scale Modelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Al.
Al.
Admin
Admin

The Battle of Britain Empty The Battle of Britain

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:55 pm
Eighty years ago today was the start of the battle of Britain and we (in the UK at least) must never forget how much we owe to all those brave young pilots who lost their lves and those who survived, who successfully fought off the German Luftwaffe. We owe hem a debt that can never be repaid.

However, there is one other person we also a great deal too............... schoolgirl Hazel Hill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRpWMlZ6s3M

Well done Hazel and her father.
mrmike
mrmike
https://www.facebook.com/mrmikesscalemodelcars/

The Battle of Britain Empty Re: The Battle of Britain

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 pm
At the tender age of 67, I don't know about these behind the scenes stories from WWII. It is these little known stories that capture my interest from time to time and I would like to read or listen to them.
My father was a US Marine Sargent in the Pacific theater. I would listen to his stories that he told to other people, but I wasn't really allowed to ask about them when we were alone. My father had barely survived Iwo Jima having been shot on the beach. When my father passed in 1983 from cancer, he still had the bullet in his lower back and the bullet in his knee from the war. I have seen his knee wound "weep" due to movement of the bullet. He passed away without telling me more that a couple of stories. He was a poster soldier for US War Bonds when he was in the service. When his brother (my uncle) passed, my aunt gave me a poster featuring my father's image on it that was hanging in his study. I treasure that poster and a few other momentos from the terrible time in our history. I don't have any video or print stories featuring my Dad. Just the words from his mouth to my ear.
beowulf
beowulf

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 am
my late father was in the RAF during the war.......due to his civillian trade of watch repairer he was ground crew.......what today would be called a 'technician'
even though he wasnt in combat it was still rare for him to talk about his service, which was just the way back then.......he never ever claimed his medals.....nothing much, just campaign and victory medals.......after he died i claimed them from the Ministry of Defence, had them framed and gave them to my mother....i have them on the wall of my hobby room now
he worked on bomber squadrons.....stirlings and lancasters.........and later mosquitos when he got posted to india
just little stories like the time King George visited and his aircraft went unservicable , and dad got the job of fixing it.....which was harder since it was a type they didnt have spares for
or the time in india about the hawk that would pray on people walking out of the mess tent with a sandwich that would swoop down and steal it from your hands
he never learnt to drive.....but i knew he knew how to,,,,,,,,,,used to borrow the Padres jeep to get about in
he met my mother at a village dance close to the station in norfolk where he was posted
looking back i wish i could have got both of them to tell tales and stories from that time, and recorded them for ever.........lost now
dublin boy
dublin boy

Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:00 pm
Not much known, but 30 people died in Dublin's North Strand from German bombers, claimed to be off course.

Apparently Adolf himself apologised to our then Prime Minister.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum