All Scale Modelling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dave from Pleasanton
Dave from Pleasanton

Reliving my youth - Revell 56 Chrysler New Yorker Empty Reliving my youth - Revell 56 Chrysler New Yorker

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:01 pm
I was probably 8 or 9 when "Santa"  gave me my first model kit. My Dad was a die hard Chrysler man so I'm pretty sure my first kit was a Revell 56 Chrysler New Yorker (perhaps 1/32 scale). I don't think that  I had expressed any interest in model building, but there it was. Revell wasn't using sliding mold technology so the body is made up of lots of pieces and the windows are acetate sheet that you bend and cut to fit. Window templates are for wimps so you have to go it alone. Pretty sure that I didn't put in the windows, but I think I used lots of custom parts and decals with help from my older brother.  I liked it enough that I bought a 59 Buick to build next. That was an AMT kit so it pretty much just fell together other than the customizing that my brother helped me with using Plastic Wood (modelling putty didn't exist yet). It turned out pretty crappy and was the last kit that my brother helped on, but it got me started.

Anyway found this kit on eBay and the price was not bad. Since there weren't pictures I asked the seller if it was complete. He said it was, I bought it, and found out it wasn't. It's missing the chrome grille. I'll craft a custom grille so it's OK. The seller ate the shipping on another kit of his, Ed Roth Mysterion, which I will use for parts since it had two Ford V8's.

Reliving my youth - Revell 56 Chrysler New Yorker 1956_c10

In case you're wondering, no I will not be using all the custom parts. Might use some of the decals. Hopefully I can do a better job on this one. I certainly can paint it and I will even use spray paint.

In case you're wondering what a Mysterion is here's the box:
Reliving my youth - Revell 56 Chrysler New Yorker Ed_rot10
dublin boy
dublin boy

Reliving my youth - Revell 56 Chrysler New Yorker Empty Re: Reliving my youth - Revell 56 Chrysler New Yorker

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:24 pm
Excellent, always nice to get a couple of old kits you built years ago.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum